I created these clusters during an attempt to make homemade granola. They are a great snack that can be eaten before, during and after a workout. The red lentils and pumpkin seeds supply energy to burn while stabilizing blood sugar, as well as help replenish iron for enhanced focus, mood and stamina during training. They can also be eaten as an everyday snack to help fight fatigue and stress.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup flour
- ⅔ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of salt
- ½ cup cooked split red lentils
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cooking the Red Lentils: Add the lentils (split) and 2 cups of hot, unsalted water to a small-medium sized saucepan. Simmer gently with the lid tilted until desired tenderness is reached (about 25 – 35 minutes).
- While the lentils are cooking, in a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, pumpkin seeds, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the maple syrup, melted coconut oil, and cooked red lentils. Mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the oat mixture evenly over the entire surface.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes. The clusters will start forming while the oat mix cools.
- Bake for another 6 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Bake for another 5 minutes, or until the oat mixture is evenly baked.
- Cool completely for at least 1 hour before breaking into clusters and store in an airtight container.
Nutritional info per serving:
Serving Size: ½ cup
Calories from fat: 135
Total Fat: 30g
Saturated Fat: 15g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g
Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
Dietary Fiber: 12g
Soluble Fiber: 2g
Insoluble Fiber: 2g
Vitamin A: 0.4%
¼ cup Agave Nectar for ½ cup Maple Syrup and cashews for pumpkin seeds.
You can add vanilla extract and experiment with your favorite baking spices. Create a tasty trail mix by adding dried fruit, nuts and seeds of your choice. It can also be a topping to Greek yogurt or enjoyed as cereal.